How to add a WPF control library template to Visual C# Express 2008December 5, 2007 at 9:05 am | Posted in C#, Visual Studio 2008, WPF | 7 Comments
Visual C# Express 2008 does not come with a project template for creating custom controls (.dll files). You can create your own template by following these steps:
- 1. Open Visual C# Express 2008.
- 2. Create New WPF Application with name: MyLibrary
- 3. Project > Add User Control
- 4. In Solution Explorer, Delete Window1.xaml and App.xaml (the corresponding .cs files should be deleted by this step)
- 5. Project > MyLibrary Properties > Application > Output Type = Class Library
- 6. Build Solution. There should be no errors and the bin/Release folder should have a MyLibrary.dll file
- 7. File > Export Template
- 8. Select Project Template then Next
- 9. Under Template Options change name to: WPF Control Library and Description: Create WPF Control .dll
The next time you open VS, you will find your newly created template ready to use.